The ability to have a family and children of our own is something that many of us probably take for granted. But for some women when they try for a baby, they find that they are unable to become pregnant without the help of an egg donor.
There are a number of reasons why women who need egg donation are unable to produce their own eggs:
- They may have been born without ovaries or ones which haven’t developed properly.
- Unfortunately treatment for cancer will often damage the ovaries so that they can’t produce eggs.
- About one in a hundred women under the age of 40 will experience a premature menopause when they stop producing eggs. This can happen very early on when they are teenagers or as young adults.
- Other women may have undergone repeated IVF treatment cycles where they have not responded to stimulation, produced poor quality eggs which do not fertilise or simply been unable to fall pregnant.
- Some women are fertile and able to produce eggs, but suffer from or carry serious genetic diseases. Using donated eggs avoids passing the condition onto a child, and it may be the only way that these women can have a healthy baby.
- For some, they have tried to start a family for many years but despite there being no medical reason, they are unable to become pregnant.
It’s probable that the person who you could help has one of these medical issues. If you decide that you would like to donate eggs with Altrui, we will tell you the reason why your help is needed and be there to guide and support you every step of the way.